Thursday, May 6, 2010

What about Calories? How Many?

Rats. I'm back to 141 again this week. I am stuck in 140-ish-plateau-land, for sure.

And while we've said it often here on The Skinny, and it's true, that the numbers on the scale...
  • are only one indicator of our overall health, and
  • can be deceiving!
But still, it is so frustrating when the scale doesn't budge at all!

We've all had experiences where we know we're eating right and exercising, but the scale seems to be stuck.

And so...when we're stuck, it certainly doesn't hurt to reevaluate our eating and exercise habits, as we work toward the goal of healthy weight loss and maintenance.

Here are a couple of handy little calculators I found for calculating how many calories I should be taking in if I want to lose and/or maintain weight in healthy ways.

The Calorie Need Calculator at "Healthy Me" is quick and easy to use. It includes a printable report, based on your personal info, on how much to eat and exercise.

The Calorie Calculator at Healthy Weight Forum works for metric or US measures, and it allows you to indicate how much weight you hope to lose in a given time frame.

Both calculators factor in gender, age, and activity level, and both can be used to calculate calories for weight loss or maintenance. I tried both of them, and the calorie calculations were very similar.

Now if I could only convince myself to get serious about a food diary...

2 comments:

Tonia Z said...

Just started following your blog today, and have to say SWEET & AWESOME job on your accomplishments thus far. You are brave to "stick it all out there", but I think that would help me stay on track more. The food diary I currently use also has an app on my phone, and it syncs online as well. It tracks exercise, weight and calories. http://www.livestrong.com/myplate/

keep up the great work. You are inspirational to many

Katie Lewis said...

How did I miss this post the first time around?

Anyway, I just tried out both calculators and here are the results:

The "Healthy Me" website says I need 2,700 calories per day since I'm breastfeeding.

The "Healthy Weight Forum" website says (if I'm going to lose 16 pounds in 16 weeks) that I need 1,636 calories each day during the first week and 1,542 calories during week 17.

So... those numbers are pretty far from the 2,700 "Healthy Me" said I should have and since "Healthy Me" accounted for the fact that I'm breastfeeding, but didn't ask how much I wanted to lose and how fast, I'm not really sure what to believe. "Healthy Me" did say that I needed about 650-500 extra calories for breastfeeding, so I guess I could just add 500 or so calories on to the numbers on "Healthy Weight Forum." Although neither website talks about how to account for a child that eats 3 meals of solid foods per day.

Our bodies are so complex!

We'd love to hear from you!

Want to write a guest post for The Skinny? E-mail Katie at kathleenann08 (at) gmail (dot) com.