Friday, July 23, 2010

Lazy Days of Summer: Stir Fry

As I mentioned before, I have not been in the mood to cook all that much lately. Between the hot days, cranky tired kids by the time dinner rolls around, and a husband who has been gone for dinner most weeknights, I've been looking for easy dinner solutions. (Tonight was Hubby's last day as a teaching his evening college chemistry class though...so now he'll be home for dinner. YEAH!)

This week, I made some stir fry. If you have a garden, this is a great way to fix all those veggies that you're getting from your garden.  This is the extra easy version though, so here's what I did.  I pulled out the bag of stir fry veggies from the freezer (I like the Kirkland Signature variety from Costco).  I thawed them a bit by dunking them in hot water and stir fried them on the stove with just a bit of vegetable oil.  Then I mixed some cornstarch in with about half terriyaki sauce and half cold water.  Then I mixed it in with the cooked veggies and heated until it was thickened.  Then serve over brown rice.
Of course you'll want to look for low calorie/healthy terriyaki sauce.  There are probably healthier options out there...but like I said...I've been a lazy cook lately, and this is a great way to load up on lots of veggies.

And this is definitely kid tested and approved.  My kids love to call the baby corns "candy corn" and my oldest discovered she loves waterchestnuts.
And sorry no picture of my son...he chose to eat sans clothing.

1 comment:

Kathy Haynie said...

Yum! Thanks for an easy, nutritious idea, Polly. I have zuchinnis that are just about ready for this recipe.

We'd love to hear from you!

Want to write a guest post for The Skinny? E-mail Katie at kathleenann08 (at) gmail (dot) com.