Saturday, July 17, 2010

Kathy Week 29: Eat Your Vegetables!

Kathy's Week 29 Stats:
Today's Weight: 134
Last Week's Weight: 137
Starting Weight: 151
Total Weight Loss: 17 pounds

Slow and steady...I am getting so much closer to my goal weight! 

I'm still using myfitnesspal.com to log my food every day. So easy, and it really helps me make better decisions about what to eat. (Be sure to read Alex's recent post about how to choose what enters your mouth.)

My husband and I are still doing our weight lifting every morning - my muscles are getting stronger! I feel stronger and healthier than I can remember in a l-o-n-g time. It's a wonderful feeling!

Today I want to share some wonderful advice from a wonderful person. 

Introducing...my dear mother-in-law, LaVerne!
Here we are at the ocean in Morro Bay, California, near her home. We are visiting her this week because she is having her 80th birthday party this week! Doesn't she look great? 

When I asked LaVerne for some advice to live a long and healthy life, she paused, and then smiled. 

"Well," she said, my mother (who lived into her 90s) always used to say that the way to live a long time was to eat your vegetables." Let me tell you, LaVerne really follows that good advice herself. I don't think I have ever eaten a meal in her home that didn't include some healthy vegetables or fruits, almost always served fresh or prepared from fresh foods.

She and I spent the day today preparing foods for the party on Saturday, and of course we baked cakes and mixed the ingredients for homemade ice cream, but we also spent the morning making some great vegetable salads to go with the chicken bar-be-que.

So, from LaVerne's kitchen, here is a delicious recipe for Carrot Salad. It's a great recipe for potlucks because it serves lots of people. If you make some for your family this week it keeps well in the fridge. And remember...keep eating your vegetables!


LaVerne's Carrot Salad
3 lb carrots, sliced 1/2" thick

Sauce:
1 can tomato soup
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon dry mustard
3/4 cup cider vinegar

1 or 2 medium onions
2 medium bell peppers

Cook carrots until crisp-tender.
Boil sauce ingredients.
Slice onions over cooked carrots and pour hot mixture over both and cover.
When cool, add chopped bell peppers.

Will keep in the refrigerator for 3 weeks.

Carrots washed and ready for slicing.

We sliced the carrots in a food processor - they were a little thinner than 1/2", but that was ok - we just cooked them for a little less time.

Cooking the carrots in a steamer.

Boiling the sauce ingredients.

Chopping the bell peppers.

No comments:

We'd love to hear from you!

Want to write a guest post for The Skinny? E-mail Katie at kathleenann08 (at) gmail (dot) com.