Friday, May 21, 2010

Experiments in Sprouting: Frugal Food Friday

I've heard a lot of things about sprouting the last few years and keep meaning to try it.  The nutritional content goes up a lot when you sprout things and they taste really good.  So I finally tried it! 

So far I've just tried sprouting wheat, but I think I'm going to try sprouting beans and rice next.  This is what they looked like after just a couple of days.
So we added a few to salad and they gave it a nice added texture.
This is what they looked like aftr about 4 days, so we added a few more to our salad.
I don't really know enough about sprouting yet to give much advice, but you can see Dorothy's post about sprouting rice here.  I've just been using a plastic container, but next time I'm going to use her glass jar/rubber band set up.

Next time I make it to Yakima, I'm going to buy some other things for sprouting like alfalfa and radish seeds, so stay tuned for some more sprouting posts in the future.

2 comments:

Kathy Haynie said...

Oh, I am guilty of saying, "Someday I'll try that," too. Thank you for the reminder! I really do need to do this!

Katie Lewis said...

Ditto.

We'd love to hear from you!

Want to write a guest post for The Skinny? E-mail Katie at kathleenann08 (at) gmail (dot) com.