Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Blueberry Raspberry Whole Wheat Oatmeal Muffins

Like I said in my last post, I got the urge to make muffins this morning.  And, despite (or because of?) a minor miscalculation on my part, they turned out REALLY good.  And not just like "they're pretty good for being healthy muffins," but like, "I'd want to eat ten of these even if I didn't know they were only made with wheat flour."  Want to make some too?  Here we go...


Blueberry Raspberry Whole Wheat Oatmeal Muffins
(recipe adapted from the basic muffin recipe in Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook, pg. 115)

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
  • 3/4 cup rolled oats*
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 beaten egg
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup cooking oil
  • 3/4 cup frozen (or fresh) raspberries and blueberries
*I used quick oats since that's what we had, but I imagine old fashioned oatmeal would work fine too.

Combine whole wheat flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a mixing bowl.  Once ingredients are combined, make a well in the center.

In another bowl (I do it in my 2 cup measuring cup so I can measure my ingredients and then I don't have to get another bowl dirty) combine milk, oil, and egg.  Pour all at once into the flour mixture.  Mix until combined.

Mix in blueberries and raspberries (no need to thaw, if frozen).

Spoon muffin batter into 12  lined or greased muffin cups.

Bake for 18 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of a muffin comes out clean.  Cool on wire rack.

Mmmmm.  Try not to eat too many.  ;)


I'll admit that I kind of messed up.  I meant to do half white flour and half wheat flour, but I miscalculated (story of my life) and realized that I had added the entire amount of flour after I finished adding the wheat flour, so I figured I'd just see how things turned out.  And they turned out great!  Really--so, so yummy.


Olivia and I already shared 4.  (eek!)  :)

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Kathy Haynie said...

Those look SO yummy with 2 kinds of berries. You can use applesauce instead of oil. Same quantity, nice moist muffins, no fat.

Becky said...

How can I subscribe? You guys have got to set up a newsletter:) My friends and I are doing the same kinda thing-weight loss blog. Love your recipes and the simpleness of your blog. Please tell me how I can subscribe by email... thanks and keep it up!

Joanne said...

Hello, I'm Becky's friend :)

Since I'm new here, I've only looked at this one post, but I want to encourage you that I always use 100% whole wheat flour when baking and I have great results. It's really just a matter of taste ... we all prefer to have baked goods with more substance, and 100% whole wheat adds that substance :)

Also, have you considered replacing some of the sugar with stevia? In this particular recipe, I would double it but use 1/4c sugar and 1/4tsp stevia.

As for the oats - old fashioned rolled oats tend to be bulky in a recipe ... if this is what you use (this is what I use!) I suggest crushing them a little with a rolling pin or pulsing in a blender or coffee grinder (I use a coffee grinder). This breaks them up a little and adds to the texture of the baked item.

Great blog!
Joanne in MO

We'd love to hear from you!

Want to write a guest post for The Skinny? E-mail Katie at kathleenann08 (at) gmail (dot) com.