Thursday, January 14, 2010

Let's Hit the Trail...Mix


This is yummy, yummy, and easy, easy.

Note: most trail mix recipes are nut-based or chocolate-based. This one is cereal-based, with a few nuts and dried fruits added in (no chocolate), so it's much kinder to the waistline!

You'll want to make a big batch all at once, so add these ingredients to your Saturday shopping list:

1 box of whole wheat cereal squares
    In other words, something like Shredded Mini-Wheats, but healthier.
    I prefer to use two kinds: Kashi Cinnamon Harvest and Barbara's Cinnamon Puffins (both in the health food section).
2 cups dried cranberries
2 cups raisins
2 cups dried apricots (you will chop these up)
2 cups chopped walnuts (I substitute slivered almonds, as the walnuts bother hubby's tummy)
2 cups chopped almonds
1 cup toasted sunflower seeds (I prefer raw)
1 cup toasted pumpkin seeds (I prefer raw)

You will also need to have 50 snack-sized ziplock baggies on hand.


When you are ready to assemble your trail mix, measure out 4 cups of cereal. I like to use 2 cups of each of the cereals listed above.
Chop the apricots and any nuts that aren't already chopped.


Toss all of the ingredients together in a large bowl. Measure 1/4 cup servings into snack baggies. Keep your trail mix fresh in the refrigerator or freezer.

Makes 16.5 cups = 50 1/4 cup servings!


Per serving: 125 calories
3 g protein, 7 g fat, 14 g carbs, 2 g fiber, 30 mg sodium
(Nutrient counts are estimates only as exact contents of the mix will vary per serving.)

I keep one bag in the fridge and one in the freezer (stays fresh longer that way). It's so quick, healthy, and yummy to add to my lunch bag for an afternoon snack!

4 comments:

Ady said...

yum. This looks really good. I think I'll try making it in the morning! Thanks!

Lauren @The Little Things We Do.... said...

great idea kathy!

Katie Lewis said...

This really does look super easy and super yummy. Maybe I'll make some of this up to have as a snack on my walks. :)

Marae said...

looks great. i love puffins!

We'd love to hear from you!

Want to write a guest post for The Skinny? E-mail Katie at kathleenann08 (at) gmail (dot) com.