Friday, September 24, 2010

Frugal Food Friday: Green Pepper Tomato Salad

I'm back!  Sorry to be MIA for so long.  We were super busy with the move, getting settled, and then starting the school year that I've been pretty busy.  We LOVE where we're living and are just enjoying life.

Let me tell you, I am LOVING having a dishwasher.  It's making it a LOT more enjoyable to cook.  I wish I could say that all of the things I've been cooking are worthy of going on The Skinny...but they haven't all been. :)  One of my goals now is to be better at serving veggie based side dishes with dinner.  We've always had home cooked main dishes, but by the time I'm done cooking the main dish, I often skip the sides...or we just had green salad that the kids weren't very interested in eating.

But no more!  I've been experimenting with a lot more side dishes, especially salads.  This is a great one we tried a few days ago.

I didn't have cider vinegar, so I used balsamic instead.  I also used green onion instead of the red onion because our kids like the milder flavor better.

Green Pepper Tomato Salad
from Taste of Homes Light & Tasty Annual Recipes from 2005, pg. 53, submitted to them by Lili Hill

3 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1 medium green pepper, chopped
1 celery rib, thinly sliced
1/2 cup chopped red onion
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper

In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, green pepper, celery and onion.  In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper.  Stir into tomato mixture.  Cover the refrigerate for at least 2 hours, stirring several times.  Serve with a slotted spoon.  Yield 6 servings.

One 3/4 cup serving has 34 calories.  (Only 34 calories!!!)

3 comments:

Dorothy said...

Looks yummy. I actually have (finally) some ripe tomatoes, so I'll give it a try! :)

Katie Lewis said...

Mmm... this looks really yummy and fresh. :)

Kathy Haynie said...

This looks great - I have tomatoes AND green peppers in the garden - I want to make it this weekend! Thanks, Polly.

We'd love to hear from you!

Want to write a guest post for The Skinny? E-mail Katie at kathleenann08 (at) gmail (dot) com.