Friday, May 7, 2010

Oriental Pork Cabbage Stir Fry - Frugal Food Friday

I've been a bit more in a cooking mood this week.  I think it has a lot to do with the fact that Hubby is finished with classes for the semester, so dinner is not a rush to have him out the door by 4:45 to get to class every night.  I cooked Sweet and Sour Chicken one night, but then wanted to try something new.  I opened up a cookbook my mother-in-law gave me for Christmas (Taste of Home's Light and Tasty Annual Recipes 2005) and came across Oriental Pork Cabbage Stir-Fry.

We eat very little pork...as in I can't even remember the last time I cooked it...but we had a bunch of cabbage in the fridge left over from making Rainbow Cole Slaw as well as some carrots that really needed to get used up.

Unfortunately, I did not remember to take a picture of it, but a quick internet search turned up the picture from the book itself.  I could take a picture of the leftovers, which are quite tasty.  The only problem with that is that the purple cabbage color has spread a bit and doesn't really look good enough for a picture...but is yummy none the less.

Oriental Pork Cabbage Stir-Fry
6 cups cabbage chunks (1 inch pieces)
3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
4 medium carrots, julienned
1 pork tenderloin (about 1 pound), cut into 3/4 inch cubes
2 tablespoons minced fresh gingerroot
1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
1/4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
4 teaspoons cornstarch

We also served this over brown rice.

In a large nonstick skillet or wok, stir-fry cabbage in 1 teaspoon hot oil for 1-2 minutes.  Add carrots; stir-fry 3-4 minutes longer or until carrots are crisp-tender.  Remove and keep warm.

Stir-fry the pork in remaining oil for 2 minutes.  Add ginger and stir-fry for 2 minutes or until pork is lightly browned.  Stir in 3/4 cup broth and soy sauce.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3 minutes or until meat juices run clear. 

Combine cornstarch and remaining broth until smooth.  Gradually stir into pan.  Return cabbage and carrots to skillet.  Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2-3 minute or until thickened.  Serve over rice if desired.

One serving (2 cups stir-fry calculated without rice) equals 252 callories, 8 g fat, 63 mg cholesterol, 855 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 27 g protein.

Note:  We served it over rice and got far more than what we consider 4 servings from this recipe.

3 comments:

Katie Lewis said...

Mmmm. That looks super good. I am so hungry right now.

alee said...

We had a dish very similar to this on Tuesday...except I just made up the recipe so I am sure it wasn't as delicious! I also used shrimp instead of pork...I am with you on cooking pork!

One thing I always do is use sesame oil instead of regular oil for asian recipes...it gives it a real nice flavor without having to add too much other salty sauce. :)

Kathy Haynie said...

Mmmm...I like the recipe, and also Alex's suggestions. We'll be fixing this soon!

We'd love to hear from you!

Want to write a guest post for The Skinny? E-mail Katie at kathleenann08 (at) gmail (dot) com.