Friday, July 2, 2010

Mexican Chicken Stew


Mark and I tried this for dinner last night, and it was simple to make, delicious and healthy!
(But Mark wanted to know where I'd found a Mexican chicken - haha!)

Mexican Chicken Stew

Serves: 6
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: About 25 minutes

1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut bite-size
1 1/2 Tbsp flour
2 tsp olive oil
1 lb sweet potatoes, peeled, cut bite-size
1 yellow pepper, cut bite-size
1 cup chopped onion
2 cups water
1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes
2 1/2 Tbsp salt-free chili powder blend
1 Tbsp minced garlic
1 tsp dried oregano
1 cup frozen corn
1 can (16 oz) kidney beans, rinsed
1/2 chopped cilantro

1. Sprinkle chicken with flour; toss to coat. Heat 1 1/2 tsp oil in a nonstick Dutch oven. Add chicken; sauté 5 minutes until cooked through remove. (I probably won't coat with flour the next time I make this. My chicken was a little damp from thawing, and it turned into a slimy mess. Still tasted ok, but I don't think the flour is necessary.)

2. Heat remaining 1/2 tsp oil. Add sweet potatoes, pepper and onion; cover and cook 7 minutes, stirring often, until lightly colored.

3. Add water, tomatoes, chili powder, garlic and oregano. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10 minutes until vegetables are almost tender. (Who knew there was salt-free chili powder? The chili powder I had on hand contained salt, but there was only a little left, so I used it up and will shop for salt-free next time. Sounds like a good idea!)

4. Add corn, beans and cooked chicken; simmer 2 minutes until vegetables are tender. Remove from heat; stir in cilantro. (I had black beans on hand, so I used those. Delicious.)

Per serving: 305 cal, 25 g pro, 44 g car, 10 g fiber, 3 g fat (1 g sat fat), 9% cal from fat, 44 mg chol, 514 mg sod.


Preview of Coming Attractions:
Be sure to check back on The Skinny tomorrow, when I'll be telling you more about this little gadget and how it's helping me lose weight!

No comments:

We'd love to hear from you!

Want to write a guest post for The Skinny? E-mail Katie at kathleenann08 (at) gmail (dot) com.