Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Katie: Week 36

Well...

Current weight: 133 pounds
Last week's weight: 133 pounds
Total weight loss: 37 pounds


Uhh... yeah.

So after Bryan's family went back home I wasn't quite in the mood to jump back into entering everything in on MyFitnessPal (and we still had some really good sweets hanging around our house) so I decided to give myself a few days and wait until Monday (yesterday) to start back up again.

Bad idea.

I had gotten back down to 132 by the time Bryan's family left and then gained that pesky pound back again from all the junk I ate just on my own.  Tsk tsk.  But I am back on board now, entering everything in and trying to remind my mind and my body what it's like to pay attention to everything I eat and only consume 1200 calories every day (more if I exercise).  How quickly and easily we can fall out of good habits!

So maybe this seems like a strange time to say it, but I have an annoucement to make:

I am changing my goal weight to 120 pounds!

The more I lose weight, the more I realize I don't just want to end up at 125 pounds.  Now I'm not saying that because I just always want to be skinnier and skinnier and I plan to never be satisfied.  No.  The reason I say that is because, as I get closer and closer to my goal weight, the more I notice about my body and what it seems to need.  I think I've been overweight for so long that I thought it was normal, but I think my body needs to carry less.  120 lbs is still in a very safe area of the "Normal" range for BMI for my frame and I'm hoping that working toward 120 will give me a little more time and wiggle room to slim off this cursed tummy fat.

Oh, how I want to have a flat tummy!  Although the main reason I want to have a flat tummy and be skinnier (other than good health, of course) is so that I can wear one shirt and be done.  With my tummy the way it is right now I always feel like I have to layer two or three shirts or tank tops just to cover it up and hide it so I don't look strange.  Also, am I the only one who's noticed that sale racks always seem to carry size small, but hardly ever carry size medium?  As a wife of a poor college kid, I'm all for getting in shape and being able to buy new clothes really cheap.  Talk about killing two birds with one stone, eh?

But one of the big, main underlying reasons that I want to have a flat tummy is so I can focus on others more.  I'm so self-conscious about my tummy that I'm always trying to suck it in or cover it up.  I'd rather feel more comfortable in my own body so I can skip over all the tummy trauma and just focus on other people more.

I just wanted to say those things again since I haven't said them in a while.  Because, for me, weight loss is more about being a good steward over my body and trying to not be so selfish than it is about my own ego.  It's good to remind my ego of that sometimes, especially when that ego has already been humbled by going backwards in my progress.

Anyway, wish me luck!  And I wish you all the best of luck in your goals!  Happy Tuesday!

3 comments:

Kathy Haynie said...

Yay Katie! Now that you've "maintained" for a bit, your body will be ready to focus on the healthy goals you have set. I love the way you articulated your reasons for setting your goal weight lower than it was before. You said what I meant last week, only so much better. Have a great week!

Heidi @ Honeybear Lane said...

Umm....are we the same person? You took the words right out of my mouth. I had a baby four months ago and have been working super hard to lose the baby weight that took me a year to lose with my first child. I just want to be at my dream weight and move on with my life! I don't want to constantly be so focused on losing weight that eating the tiniest treat makes me have super guilt. I just want to put on a cute shirt, size small, and have it sit just right on me, no spanx, no sucking in.

You know those knit shirts that don't ever bounce back to their original shape once they've been worn on a fat person? Throw those away! They will only make you discouraged. The crappy thing about being poor (my hub's in grad school) and overweight is that you can only afford to buy the cheap clothes once in awhile, you know, the clothes that just don't flatter anyone.

I SO hear you. But keep it up, we are all there with you!

www.honeybearlane.com

Marae said...

amen, amen. i'm such a believer in the need to take care of yourself before you can help others.

We'd love to hear from you!

Want to write a guest post for The Skinny? E-mail Katie at kathleenann08 (at) gmail (dot) com.