Thursday, August 5, 2010

Stretching

So I am running around like a chicken with its head cut off trying to get a million things done before I go on vacation...and I am doing it with a limp! Here is a friendly reminder to STRETCH!

I can not emphasize the benefits of stretching enough; I don't do it enough myself and I know that is why I feel tight sometimes after I run! However this pulled muscle of mine did not come from running- it came from dancing at my job (I teach ballroom dance).

What is the point? Sometimes we don't stretch because we don't think the activity we are participating in is strenuous enough..."I am just walking around the block" or "I am just going to play outside with my kids" But even those activities work your muscles!!!

So this is my friendly reminder to stretch this week- even if you don't think it is completely necessary. It will make you feel looser, more limber, and will make your activity (whatever it is) more fun and hopefully easier!

2 comments:

Kathy Haynie said...

Oh, ouch - I hope it feels better soon. Have fun on your vacation, and thank you for a good reminder. I don't stretch enough, either.

Katie Lewis said...

Ah, too true. I basically never stretch. Shame on me.

We'd love to hear from you!

Want to write a guest post for The Skinny? E-mail Katie at kathleenann08 (at) gmail (dot) com.