Wednesday, August 18, 2010

new goals

oh my goodness, oh my goodness! katie and kathy are getting so close to goal. this progress really has been amazing to watch.

as for me, i'm finally remembering that it's wednesday and my day to post! i've been a bit distracted--my baby girl came 5 1/2 weeks ago and it's been a wonderful whirlwind since then. i don't get nearly enough sleep yet to think about exercising strenuously or making tons of effort with eating, but i do have a few goals in improving my health and fitness...starting out gently.

1. go for a walk every day. there are days that i don't feel like going anywhere, but from experience i know that if i don't leave the house i feel like a slob with no friends. not that walking gives me friends, but at least it makes me feel like i'm not living in my own tiny world. and the exercise is good, of course.

2. get at least 6 hours of sleep every 24. i know that i should get more, but i've got to be realistic for now. many nights i get 4, so this means that i need to nap for 2 hours, which is hard for me! once i'm up and moving i feel fine, so i just want to be catching up with cleaning or cooking (and i need to shower!) while nora is asleep. but it often catches up with me something awful, and all i want to do is cry and die (oh, the irrationality of being tired). anyway, my husband is entirely willing to help while i sleep, so i should take better advantage of that.

3. eat decently. i'm not thinking about calorie counting or even portion sizes, really--i just want to stay properly fueled and not eat too much junk. i'm seeming to be sensitive to wheat again, so cutting that out has helped me eat well (except for when i made flourless chocolate brownies, which pretty much replace flour with more butter. oh, then i ate most of them in about 2 days, of course).

i feel like the biggest step is making sleep a priority--i can't do much without it! and once i get these goals down, i'll move on to the ones that yield more visible results. i don't have a ton to lose--most of my clothes fit (except in the chest...hmmph) but they'll fit better when they're a bit looser. so, i guess my eventual goal is to go down a size. and i'm just excited to feel fit again!

wish me luck. and tips of any kind are always welcome!

4 comments:

Kathy Haynie said...

Oh, Marae, it is wonderful to hear from you again. Congratulations on your new baby! Nora is a beautiful name. I love your goals. Do keep pursuing sleep. Things will get easier when she hits 3 months, and you're halfway there! Looking forward to more of your posts. :)

Katie Lewis said...

Good luck! Especially with the whole getting sleep thing. :) But my mom is right, it will all magically be okay soon.

alee said...

I think you have some excellent goals :) Good luck!

Christine said...

Good luck with your goals! It will get easier with time. I love reading this blog!

We'd love to hear from you!

Want to write a guest post for The Skinny? E-mail Katie at kathleenann08 (at) gmail (dot) com.