Sunday, April 17, 2011

Kathy Week 68: Diet or Discipline?

I've been thinking about this a lot lately.

It's easier for me to "go on a diet," with a structured eating plan and a specific goal, and the sense of a timeline--as in, it will end at some point--than it is to be truly "disciplined" about my eating on a long-term basis.

Dieting is only useful to a point. What I really need is to develop discipline.

Hmmm...not so much of that around here over the last couple of weeks...

I was actually really inspired by the "Clean" eating plan in Alejandro Junger's book. I followed it pretty closely for a couple of weeks, and while I didn't experience a dramatic weight loss, I generally felt good. My chronic sinus congestion / headaches disappeared, I had more energy, I just felt like I was in control of my eating. I wanted to exercise, and I did.

Then life got in the way. I went out of town, Mark got really sick, the weather was horrible. Blah, blah, blah. So many reasons excuses to let things slip. It's not like I'm binge eating or anything, but I'm back to snacking on sweets, I haven't exercised in two weeks, and I woke up this morning with that classic sinus/tension headache. Plus, the scale is creeping up to 137. It hovered on 138 for half a second, so I know I'm headed in the wrong direction. This just isn't working for me.

In addition to the physical dis-equilibrium I am feeling, I noticed this morning as I was praying that I just didn't really feel like praying very much. I didn't want to focus on the quiet thoughts and feelings that help guide me through the day. Wow, that got my attention. Not feeling as well physically is beginning to affect me spiritually.

Isn't it interesting that "discipline" and "disciple" come from the same Latin root? As I am strengthened in my physical discipline, I can be a better disciple of Christ. That sounds good on paper (or blog?), but I know that it's hard to put into practice over the long term. Discipline, discipleship...both can be difficult to maintain consistently.

This promise from the Book of Mormon gives me hope: "And if men come unto me I will show them unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them" (Ether 12:27).

For sure, this is a weakness that I would like to change until it becomes a strength.

So...here comes a new week! I am committed to begin exercising again (ugh...it's always hard to get started again...feel so stupid and weak...). I don't think it will be realistic to eat with the "Clean" diet for the next little bit, as we'll be traveling again this week, and then we have two weeks of off-and-on house guests, but I can choose discipline/discipleship when it comes to snacks and treats.

And best of all: we have SUNSHINE in the forecast for the whole week ahead of us! That will lift my spirits, for sure, and help me to remember to "walk in the light" and make better choices.

Have a wonderful week, Skinnies! I'd love to have an "atta-girl" comment to encourage me, and I'm thinking of you, too.

2 comments:

Tricia said...

Atta-girl Kathy!!! :) I too have to start up exercising after two weeks of illness and recovery. I'm a little scared to see if I'm where I was two weeks ago before I got sick or if I just lost half of my endurance. Here's to a new week! We'll do it together. :) Good luck!!!

Dorothy said...

Oh, Kathy, when you set your mind to something, you always manage to accomplish your goal. I think we just get so distracted with "life" and lose sight of our goals sometimes. Keep working on it, until it BECOMES your life and doesn't require so much thought. I'm still working on it, too. :)

We'd love to hear from you!

Want to write a guest post for The Skinny? E-mail Katie at kathleenann08 (at) gmail (dot) com.