Thursday, April 22, 2010

Walking in Circles: A Way to Relax

Some days are exhausting, right? You know the kind of days I mean. I had one of those on Monday. Spent all afternoon watching three young grandchildren here at my house. 2 1/2 year old twin girls and their 3 year old brother. By the time they went home I was drained. Don't get me wrong: I love them to pieces and we had a good time with bubbles and games and dancing, etc., but oh, how tiring.

Then sweet Hubby (Grandpa) came home (just in time to say goodbye to the kids while they were being strapped in their carseats), and he suggested the two of us going for a walk in a local natural area which is currently in bloom. Honestly, all I really wanted to do at that time was fall into a cozy chair and shut my eyes....

But we went on that walk, and oh, how glad I am that we did.

Going for a walk doesn't always have to mean exercise! It can be a wonderful way to let go of the energy of the day and fill your soul with peace and calm. We walked the trails in this area slowly, stopping to admire, breathe deep, hold hands, and give thanks for simple, natural beauty. I didn't even take a camera with me.


Wait a minute, then who took these pictures? I did. Last year. :)


Same place. Same time of year. But on a day when I wasn't quite as tired!


We were being quiet, but the deer still wandered off as we approached. :)


Who took this one? The camera was set on a rock with a self-timer. We were all alone then, just like we were on Monday.


Next time you have "one of those days", try taking a little walk. Call it a "stroll". Breathe. Relax. It's going to be alright.

2 comments:

Kathy Haynie said...

Ahhhhhhh....

Katie Lewis said...

Haha, yes, sometimes I have to remind myself that it's okay to walk slow and just relax. :)

We'd love to hear from you!

Want to write a guest post for The Skinny? E-mail Katie at kathleenann08 (at) gmail (dot) com.