Thursday, April 1, 2010

Some interesting reading...

So for today's post I decided to let you in on some interesting reading I have been doing. First, a continuation of Sunday's post on moderation. I was reading this article after I had already posted titled "Are You Hooked?" It was all about soft addictions- things that are an escape from uncomfortable feelings that aren't life-threatening like alcohol or drugs. Like eating because you are bored, excessively surfing the web because you are lonely, shopping because you are unhappy with what you have, etc. "When you understand what soft addictions enable you to avoid- and when you learn to control these cravings- you're more likely to get what you really want out of life." I loved that- hello moderation, right? :)

Interestingly enough, most people do not have a hard time admitting that they have a soft addiction, unlike those that have a hard addiction. The real question is if they think/realize it is bad enough to stop. One method they encourage is for you to list some of your frequent behaviors, then jot down how you feel before, during, and after you engage in the addictive behavior. Once you identify why you are, say, overeating, you can satisfy that need in other ways and stop being a slave!

Now, on to my real interesting reading at the moment. I have been rereading Food Politics- it is a book I read in college for my Sociology of Health class; it isn't a textbook, but it isn't exactly light reading either. The author does say that she is aiming it towards non-nutrition professionals. It is a look at how the food industry affects our diet...and if you think they don't, just read the book.

Food companies are in a competitive
marketplace in the US and they will do anything to make their products sell. These same food companies give lots of money to government officials meaning that no matter how much research comes to the conclusion that we simply need to eat less, that will never be the recommendation. It also shows how misguided our beloved Food Guide Pyramid is. It is all quite insane.

I remember loving it while I was in school, but couldn't remember a lot of the specifics and it was just taunting me by sitting on the shelf. Now, I can't put it down. Not only is it informational and eye-opening, but it is motivating as well. I feel a renewed sense of "I'm going to make the right food choices no matter what" after reading it. :) Now although the book was written in 2002 and is already somewhat out of date I am sure, I would encourage all of you to pick it up...and even if you don't, I am sure I will be providing many fun facts as I read through it! :) Or you can take a look at the author's website and blog at www.foodpolitics.com.


4 comments:

Kathy Haynie said...

Thanks for the good reading suggestions, Alex. I look forward to hearing more from "Food Politics" in future posts.

Katie Lewis said...

I definitely don't have the reading to back it up like you do, but I really do feel that the way food is marketed to us in the US is tragic. Sure, everybody wants to make money, but it makes me sad that we live in a society that is more concerned about profit than about good health and good lives. Of course I appreciate being able to purchase and use processed foods and of course we occasionally indulge in the totally unnecessary junk sometimes, but the fact that nobody comes out and really says, "Hey, America, you're fat because you're eating way too much. You don't need all that. Just eat less and eat healthy," is sad to me. We have, as a society, become caught up "in the thick of thin things." And it's certainly not making us thin.

emmalou said...

Exactly. I happened to catch the premiere of a new show on TV called something like Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution. Very interesting.

Marae said...

i've been wanting to read that book forEVer. thanks for the reminder.

We'd love to hear from you!

Want to write a guest post for The Skinny? E-mail Katie at kathleenann08 (at) gmail (dot) com.