Wednesday, April 7, 2010

snack ideas, please



I have a pretty easy time coming up with and taking time to prepare meals. Snacks, on the other hand, don't get as much devotion and are usually something I want right now because I'm starving. Or they need to be easy to pack because I know I will be starving later. I get in ruts...

Lately, I usually have:
-oatcakes (thick crackers made from oats and often flavored. they're pretty tasty)
-rice cakes or rye crackers with peanut butter or low fat cream cheese
-whole grain muffin or cookie
-dried fruit + nuts (favorites are dates + almonds, apricots + walnuts, figs + almonds)
-little cheesies (babybel...haven't seen string cheese here)
-carrots and hummus

Sooo...pretty basic (I feel like all I need to add are Goldfish and I'll be your average 3 year old). And slightly boring! Please enlighten me with some new ideas.

(a quick google search brought me to this blog post with lots of ideas)

3 comments:

Katie Lewis said...

Hey Marae,

Your snacks look very European. :) Some of the snacks I've been having for the past little while are:

-chocolate graham crackers with peanut butter

-apples with peanut butter

-Cliff Kids Z bars

-a banana

-whole wheat bagel with low fat strawberry cream cheese

Umm... I guess that's about it. I just sat here and tried to think of more for a few minutes and that was all I came up with. So I guess I'm pretty boring too. Haha. Oh! But yesterday for breakfast I had:

-1 apple cut up into small pieces
-a handful of grapes cut in half
-a few tablespoons of strawberry yogurt
-a handful of granola

Mixed it all together for a little personal fruit salad. Stole this idea from Lisa when she made a really yummy fruit salad at our place last week. Anyway, it was very filling and yummy and would probably make good snack food too.

Missing you mucho mando!

-Katie :)

P.S. I might have to get some of those babybell light cheese wheels for snacks. The look yummy yummy.

Kathy Haynie said...

Yes, the babybels are yummy. So are laughing cow cheeses.

A wonderful link, with lots of super ideas. But I didn't see the Kashi 7-grain crackers listed anywhere. They are my very favorite. Yummy with a little cheese (see above) or a string cheese.

A handful of snap peas...and they're just about in season!

Anne said...

I really yummy snack is to scoop out a tablespoon of chocolate/almond butter - or chocolate/peanutbutter. I never even knew such a yummy treat existed until my doctor suggested it. I think it is important to include a little protien with your snacks. How about a smoothie? That always fills me up.

We'd love to hear from you!

Want to write a guest post for The Skinny? E-mail Katie at kathleenann08 (at) gmail (dot) com.