Monday, September 6, 2010

Return of the Running Tips

Sorry for the long absence. My last post was supposed to be the third Monday of August, but that turned out to be my birthday. So I took a break from responsibility and celebrated with my hubby. We did lots of fun, free things that aren't so good for healthy living. If you are curious, you can check it out HERE.

Then I thought I might post the following Monday, but we were at the beach on a spur-of-the-moment camping trip. So I decided that having a running experience to write about was the least I could do. I planned a route on the internet before we took off for the beach. Then we did something smart: We drove the route since the roads were unfamiliar to me. Good thing! One of the roads became a driveway instead of connecting through to another road like Google maps said it would. So I was able to alter my route before I was in the middle of running it. I highly recommend this. I love road running because you get to see so much more, but it is so much less predictable. Check out new roads and paths by actually visiting them before you intend to run them.

I really liked trying a new place to run. Since we were camping, I ran a trail and then road, and finished with trail. The change of pace made it interesting as well as challenging. I was excited for the whole run because the scenery kept changing and the difficulty level varied throughout my route. So maybe you feel like you are less interested in your exercise. See what you can do to change it up. Try increasing the intensity and doing a shorter workout. Or you could change the scenery. We are coming up on the best time of year to be outside on a run or walk. The colors will be changing, the winds shifting, and you can feel a buzz in the air. I hope that excites you as much as it does me! Won't it feel wonderful to go into the holidays knowing you are living a healthy life? Strike up the balance between your calorie intake and expenditure now so that when all the goodies are around, you will know what you can handle. You will come out of the holidays as a victor of your health. Katie and Kathy, I am confident that the two of you will rise to the challenge and be able to reach your goals and maintain them through this time of the most enticement to over-indulge. Prepare now and you will succeed. I'm so excited for both of you!

In the mean time, I'm still training for my 10K race that is less than 3 weeks away now. Saturday I ran a personal record, making me even more motivated to speed up and reach my goal time. Woohoo!

1 comment:

Kathy Haynie said...

The "Best Dam Run" is less than 3 weeks away?? Wow, I'd better speed up my training as a walker for that race! Actually, Mark and I are just planning to walk the race for the enjoyment of being outdoors in that beautiful setting along the Clackamas River.

Thanks for the tips! Yes, I'm hanging in there. :)

We'd love to hear from you!

Want to write a guest post for The Skinny? E-mail Katie at kathleenann08 (at) gmail (dot) com.