Saturday, March 12, 2011

Kathy Week 63: A letter to my mouth

Dear Mouth,

What's up with you, anyway? Do you think you in charge of my body or something? I always thought it was my brain that was in charge, but lately I'm not so sure. I've been trying to convince myself otherwise for a long time, but to be honest, I'm not really sure that I can trust you. Even when the rest of me wants to be slender and svelte, even when my brain knows that I don't need another ounce of food, even when my stomach is sending out "full" messages, you keep slurping up morsels of this and that. Why do you do this to me?

Yes, I'm talking to you, Mouth. To every bit of you: the tongue that is infatuated with the texture and flavor of food, the teeth that relish a good hard crunch, especially when my jaw is getting tight with stress, the lips that love to linger over sips and flavors.

If I even think about food, you get busy with your salivary glands, lubricating and setting me up for a complete loss of willpower. And if it's chocolate I'm thinking of? Then there's that tingle in the back of my mouth, like a little whisper saying, "Come on, just one won't hurt." And probably "just one" wouldn't hurt, but you say it over and over and over again.

Mouth, don't get me wrong. I love your smile, the way you kiss, the kindness you express, the laughter that comes bubbling out of you. You are a wonderful part of me. Truly, I'd be nothing without you! But we have to work out this eating thing. You don't get to be the one in charge. You are only one little piece of me, and all the other parts--hips, thighs, upper arms, jowly cheeks, bum, and the belly fat, too--they get to vote from here on out. When I'm tempted to eat, I'm going to be checking in with the rest of me to see if I'm really hungry or not, and to choose the quality of food you'll be taking in.

Really, this will be so much better for both of us. You'll have more time to smile and laugh, and the rest of my body will get to be skinnier. So don't take it personally when I don't come around so much at snack time because, really, it's not about you. It's about ME! And I want to be healthy and fit.

Until our next meal together, Kathy

PS: Today I weighed in (again) at 136. Sad to say, I was actually pleased about that, because I peaked at 138 a couple of days ago. The spirit has been willing, but the flesh ate Girl Scout cookies and donuts again this week.

PPS: At least I did get back into running again! I was out three different days, two miles each time. Usually it's no fun when I start, but it feels so good when I'm done!

We'd love to hear from you!

Want to write a guest post for The Skinny? E-mail Katie at kathleenann08 (at) gmail (dot) com.