Saturday, February 5, 2011

Kathy 58: River Run

If you missed Alex's post about her darling new baby, be sure to check it out here! Congratulations, Alex!

I went to mapmyrun.com this morning, to check the distance of one of my favorite walking paths.

It is exactly 1 mile from the trailhead to the other end of the path, at a pedestrian bridge over the Clackamas River. When I mentioned this to Mark, he said, "Oh, that doesn't seem so far," and he agreed to go with me on my morning run today.

This week I ran 2 miles on the track on Monday and Wednesday after work. This morning I was ready for a little scenic variety!

 Here I am at one mile, just after I turned around at the other end of the bridge. 
It's overcast this morning, but we only had a few drips, not real rain.

 Heading up a slight incline. Just at the top of the hill, we saw one of our teacher friends from the high school. She gave me an "atta girl" as I chugged up the hill - it's so fun to have encouragement!

We stopped a few more times to catch our breath than I do when I'm out by myself, but I still had a great workout. It's so much better with a buddy! I was thrilled that Mark was finally over his cold and sinus infection, and that he felt like he could go out with me for a run.

Weight statistics this week: b-o-r-i-n-g...
Still 134...

I want to start adding some weight-lifting into my non-running days. I plan to do some squats and lunges to strengthen my leg muscles. I've been having a wee bit of knee discomfort at the 2-mile level, so I may drop back a bit on the distance for now, or break it up with some walking stretches.

Any other suggestions?

Have a great week Skinnies!

1 comment:

emmalou said...

Kathy, I really like running on that path too! It has been a part of MANY training runs. New scenery always helps me have a better run. As for the knee discomfort, I'm sorry I don't have any advice.

We'd love to hear from you!

Want to write a guest post for The Skinny? E-mail Katie at kathleenann08 (at) gmail (dot) com.